Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Electroween!

Trying to put together an all electro Halloween album with little previous experience with the genre turned out to be more difficult than I imagined it would be. However, it was fun, I learned a lot, and I came up with a list I enjoy. I tried, when possible, to include tracks from pioneers of the genre. Of course, any Halloween list is an exercise in subjectivity. There is kind of a bipolar tone/vibe when it comes to the holiday. It can be both chilling and truly horrifying and completely silly and over the top. Complicating this is the fact that everyone has different memories/experiences with the holiday so different sounds/tones will evoke the holiday for some and not others. Additionally, musical tastes can vary dramatically from person to person. All this to say, your "mileage" may vary, however, I hope you can find a few things to enjoy. Anyway, here it is:

Electroween Mix 2009:
1. Scary Tricycle by Silent Fish Heads
2. The Haunted House of Rock (Remix) by Whodini
3. The Horror by RJD2
4. Tubular Bells by Book of Love
5. The Bog (dance mix) by Bigod 20
6. Testarossa Autodrive by Kavinsky
7. Old Castle Madrigal by Joy Electric
8. Nothing to Fear by Depeche Mode
9. Shadows by Midnight Juggernauts
10. Ghost House by Teenage Bad Girl
11. Zip by Julian Jeweil
12. Talk Like That by The Presets
13. Ballo dei Morti by Brassica
14. The Talking Dead by Weird Tapes
15. Asylum by Gary Numan
16. Poisonous Friend (Iris remix) by Seabound
17. Ultraviolent by Cinnamon Chasers
18. The Hidden Door by Belbury Poly
19. Circus of Death by The Human League
20. Beyond the Dark by Raiders of the Lost Arp

More to come soon!

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I'm not a real big Techno fan, but I could see this being real good background music at an outdoor Halloween party with a bon fire. Although I think it would be even better as a trippy movie soundtrack where some burnout guy wakes up after a week long trip and doesn't realize it's Halloween. Then he starts to think he is in a horror movie being chased by monsters, who are actually partygoers dressed in costumes. Just imagine Testarossa Autodrive playing while the out of shape guy is chased through the woods by a little girl wearing a Ronald McDonald costume or Shadows playing with Jack-o-Lanterns dancing around the bon fire and threatening to pee in his gas tank.

    Also, mad respect for using the Matt Damon label; our blog is sure to get tons of hits now!

    One last thing--dare I say that Scary Tricycle is the most original and scariest track!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are 100% right about Scary Tricycle. That song gives me the chills every time I hear it. It was an auto-include the moment I heard it, without a doubt.

    My favorite thing about the Matt Damon label is the kitty in the lap part. I wish it was true.

    I think you're right about the Halloween bonfire. Something like that is kind of what I had in mind, since I realized last year that would be the way most people would utilize the mix, even though that wasn't really the setting I designed the first mix for. I also think your movie idea is totally awesome. You should make the movie, Tommy can be the out of shape guy who doesn't realize it's Halloween and maybe in his confusion while running through the woods he humps a tree (just a thought, although if Testarossa Autodrive is playing it'll have to be some furious humping). Alex can play the little girl with the Ronald McDonald mask. Let's make this happen!

    ReplyDelete