Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Top Ten Albums of the Last Decade - #6


Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

This album is an epic subconscious journey through the unconscious redneck-pop culture of today's average American. I've listened to these songs over and over since early this decade and they never get old, they never lose their freshness (damn that cottage cheese in the fridge). Just listening to 3rd planet makes me feel like I am flying through the sky observing people walking into and out of a shopping mall like it is all of hazy dream. How many other songs could you say this about? There are so many amazing songs on this album, it may just be that the 8th best song on this album is probably better than the 8th best song on an album in the last 20 years. Even as Modest Mouse slowly turns more and more into the Bare Naked Ladies with their more recent albums, it's hard to ever be mad at a band that made an album this good.

2 comments:

  1. To me, this is the last really good Modest Mouse album (in fact it's my favorite). I know this isn't a very controversial opinion, at least among the indie rock set. I don't begrudge them for wanting to make money. I'd sellout in a heartbeat myself, if I had anything to sell. However, I stopped loving them after Goodnews for People Who Love Bad News came out. It's been a while since I've listened to this record. Thanks for reminding me of how great it is. I'm going to listen to this after work today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once long ago, Rush told me that if Modest Mouse wanted to make popular pop music they could and I didn't believe him. How could a group that made such a badass album like this stoop so low? But they did. Their new music is good, but not nearly as good or cool as this album. Whatever pays the bills...

    ReplyDelete