Monday, April 30, 2012

Fuck Your Couch!

Okay, so all of these crazy ramblings I'm about to write are entirely truthful and not meant to be funny.  You guys don't have to respond or even read this if you wish.  I just feel like by posting this and letting my friends and family know, I might be more motivated to do all this.

I have had somewhat of a realization over the past few weeks not unlike the first time I watched The Big Lebowski while high.  Only this time I'm totally clearheaded and I think it's time for me to make some major life changes.  It's some sort of fucking miracle that I'm alive and I need to do something with my life other than just get drunk all the time and avoid people.

I have to be healthier.  This means no more caffeine and actually eating the salads my mom makes.  I need to cut back on my alcohol consumption.  Only in moderation and on special occasions when there's people around.  Friday is not a special occasion.  I have got to exercise more as well.

I need to think more positively, stop being so selfish, and work on being more social.  I am beginning to think that just avoiding situations that make me nervous means I'll never be able to learn and grow out of my behavior.  I know this sort of thing takes time but you gotta be in it to win it.

I'm going to quit the whole smoking thing.  Immediately.  I think this is the most important thing.  I'll feel better, live longer, and save lots of money.  I'll have to replace this behavior with something more constructive.  I plan on reteaching myself guitar and playing BG totally obsessively until I'm over it.  If the next time you guys see me I'm still smoking then you're allowed to yell at me and reference this post.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. First off, I like how your title and Home Improvement reference are very appropriate for this post. Cue Tim Allen grunt.

    I agree: this does seem like a clearheaded and highly motivated realization. These will be hard changes but should help you feel better about your life and make it easier to cope with stress and anxiety in the long run. Caffeine, alcohol and smoking make anxiety and obsessive thinking worse in the long run and vegetables (Spinach and Oranges) exercise and such help make it better in the long run. I've been trying to lessen my consumption of these and I can notice it making a difference. I feel like it is worth the short term difficulties to make these changes to help me feel better overall, sort of like a weight has been removed by lessening my obsessive thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm behind your decision 100%. I agree with Phil that it seems very clearheaded and it sounds like it's coming from a good place. If there's anything I can do to help out, let me know. A healthy body helps in having a healthy mind and vice versa. It's not an easy thing to make so many major changes. In my own experience (i.e. your mileage may vary, feel free to ignore any "advice" I might give), I've found focusing on small steps helpful. So don't go: no salad -> all salad all the time, or you'll burn out (to use a kind of stupid example). I'm mainly thinking of the social component here. I think having some sort of accountability, which you've done by telling us, is vital since it's not easy to walk the line between "not pushing yourself to do too much" and "being lazy." I know that I have to be careful to set realistic expectations for myself and talking to others about your goals/ideas is a good way to get a sense for that. Also, I would stress the importance of self awareness, as I think any kind of self improvement is doomed without it. I've found that self awareness is something that needs to be cultivated with continual effort. But I'll stop talking now, as I think I'm beginning to sound a little cliche. BTW, Veronica told me to say, "You go, girlfriend!"

    ReplyDelete